- 1 Rhinoplasty Recovery – What You Need To Know
- 2 The Road to Rhinoplasty Recovery
- 3 Rhinoplasty Recovery Begins with Choosing Your Surgeon
- 4 Rhinoplasty Recovery – A Good Diet helps
- 5 Rhinoplasty Recovery – Planning For Fast Recovery
- 6 Rhinoplasty Recovery – The Day of Surgery
- 7 Rhinoplasty Recovery Requires Patience
- 8 Rhinoplasty Recovery – Post Operative Care
- 9 Rhinoplasty Recovery – After One Week
Rhinoplasty Recovery – What You Need To Know
A typical rhinoplasty procedure is done within two hours. However, the preparation before the rhinoplasty and the post-surgery care for rhinoplasty recovery cannot be taken lightly.
Nose jobs are one of the most common plastic surgeries in the United States but that does not mean that rhinoplasty recovery is easy.
The Road to Rhinoplasty Recovery
The road to rhinoplasty recovery is made easier if the pre-surgery precautions are carried out. To avoid complications during the rhinoplasty recovery period, here are some of the tips you should follow to ensure a speedy recuperation process.
In general, rhinoplasty recovery starts from the preparation, lets run through the important points:
1. Do a thorough research on your plastic surgeon – If the rhinoplasty surgery is a disaster, then we cannot expect the rhinoplasty recovery to be smooth. Look for a plastic surgeon with the right credentials and experience before deciding
2. Schedule More than One Consultation – Unless you are very confident that the first plastic surgeon you speak to is the right one, it is always better to seek alternative opinion of more than one surgeon. This gives you the option to choose and not rush into the rhinoplasty surgery.
3. Making Habit and Dietary Changes – Certain habits such as drinking and smoking should be stopped a few weeks before the rhinoplasty surgery. If you wish to have a speedy rhinoplasty recovery, you need to avoid complications.
4. Arranging Post Rhinoplasty Surgery Care – Have plans after the rhinoplasty surgery. Simple things such as fetching you home from the hospital or cooking soft foods for you has to be planned. Take extra work leave in case of any surgery complications. Having to go to work before a full recovery will not help in the rhinoplasty recovery process.
Rhinoplasty Recovery Begins with Choosing Your Surgeon
The plastic surgeon who you select will play a significant role in your rhinoplasty recovery. Before meeting with your surgeon, surf the net for any information on him or her. If your surgeon has a website, find out more about what his or her patients say about his rhinoplasty skills.
If there are before and after pictures on his website, make sure that the people in the pictures are his patients and not taken from anywhere else. Ask for his credentials and qualifications.
To establish credibility, it is important to check if he is board certified. When you are at his clinic, check the standard of care and attention he gives to his patients. Observe his or her staff to see if they are caring and attentive. These important details play a role in your rhinoplasty recovery because you will be in the care of his staff during the hospital recovery stay.
Your plastic surgeon is the single most important determining factor for the success of your rhinoplasty. To have a happy rhinoplasty recovery with all your goals achieved, you have to relate well with your plastic surgeon. Rapport must be built so that you feel at ease communicating your concerns before the surgery.
It will be ideal if your goals are what the plastic surgeon wants for you. Your plastic surgeon might recommend additional procedures like chin lifts or cheek lifts together with rhinoplasty. Ask the doctor why is it necessary and will it affect your rhinoplasty recovery process. It is one thing to have a swollen nose and another to have the cheeks and chin swollen as well.
Rhinoplasty Recovery – A Good Diet helps
As mentioned above, in the weeks leading to the rhinoplasty surgery, you need to observe healthy dietary practices. It is not a wise idea to fall sick and have the rhinoplasty done. And to postpone your rhinoplasty surgery might impact all the preparations done, such as work leave taken for your rhinoplasty procedure. So try to keep fit and healthy and make the following dietary changes
1. Avoid taking aspirin and blood thinning medications
2. Restrain from drinking alcohol
3. Stop Smoking if possible, QUIT smoking
4. Take vitamin supplements such as Vitamins C,E and iron
5. Let your surgeon know about your medical history
6. State what are the drug allergies you have to your surgeon
7. Get ready a list of soft foods you like prepared for you
By taking such steps, it minimises the chances of having rhinoplasty complications, thereby ensuring a fast rhinoplasty recovery for you.
Rhinoplasty Recovery – Planning For Fast Recovery
Life after the surgery should be made as comfortable as possible. Why? On one hand, you need to deal with the swelling and bruising and on the other hand, you need to have the least stress possible. Thus, you got to have plans in place to ensure a smooth transition from hospital to home care for a fast rhinoplasty recovery.
1. Make arrangement for someone to take care of you immediately 48 hours following the surgery
2. Have reliable transportation immediately available during discharge
3. Have work leave of at least 2 weeks to prepare for rhinoplasty recovery
4. Prepare for cold presses to cool swelling site down
5. Avoid any strenuous exercises after the surgery
Rhinoplasty Recovery – The Day of Surgery
There will be specific steps that your plastic surgeon will have you ready. But some of the more common steps leading to the surgical table include:
1. Be clean with your face, wash them to eliminate any impurities and bacteria
2. Do not eat or drink after 11pm the day before the surgery
3. No make up to be used on your trip to the rhinoplasty surgery
4. Have ample sleep to prepare for the rhinoplasty surgery and the recovery
Doing the above four steps will make your rhinoplasty recovery smoother as it reduces the chances of complications. You want the rhinoplasty recovery to be as smooth as possible.
Rhinoplasty Recovery Requires Patience
Rhinoplasty recovery generally takes about two weeks. After two weeks, your new nose still need time to settle down. You should not evaluate the rhinoplasty anytime less than one year after the surgery. This is because your newly reshaped nose needs time to settle. The initial recovery time might vary due to certain factors:
1. The Extent of the Rhinoplasty – How much change was made to the nose
2. Post Operative Care Quality – Does the hospital have experienced staff to take care of you? Was transportation and diet plans planned for before the surgery?
3. Your Health Condition Before the Surgery – Certainly a healthier person will recover from rhinoplasty much quicker than someone who is habitually sick.
Rhinoplasty Recovery – Post Operative Care
Most doctors will give their patients a set of instructions when they are discharged. These instructions are crucial to a speedy rhinoplasty recovery. It is advisable that your follow closely what was advised by your doctor. It will be great if your family members can chip in to help out in different chores while you recover.
1. Stay hydrated – When you stay hydrated, there is less chance of you falling sick
2. Use cold presses to cater to the swelling parts of the face.
3. Have ample rest after the rhinoplasty surgery, minimise talking
4. Do not engage in any physical activities that will wear you out
In the immediate 24 hours after your rhinoplasty surgery, you might feel slightly disoriented due to the anaesthesia administered to you. There might be feeling of swelling and pain.
Your plastic surgeon will be able to provide some pain killers and medication for you.
But common discomfort from plastic surgery includes:
In the first 24 hours, it is advisable for you to remain in bed most of the time. Your head should be elevated to prevent nosebleeds. You might feel giddy, have a headache and your reshaped nose is sore. It is important that you try not to sneeze or blow your nose as doing so will impede the rhinoplasty recovery process.
Rhinoplasty Recovery – After One Week
After one week, you will feel less swelling and bruises. Your surgeon will be able to tell you at which stage of the rhinoplasty process is. Though many patients are able to go back to work after one week, we advise that you take two weeks off work.
After one week, you can also resume the non strenuous activities. No gym or physical activity this time. And never make a plan to travel on a plane when you have rhinoplasty surgery.
In short, to have a successful rhinoplasty recovery procedure, you need to prepare well, eat well, sleep well and plan well.