Many ask “How to lose a double chin?” This is a common problem faced by all people. Some are thin and yet need to get rid of a double chin. So what are the exercises available to remove a double chin?
There are quite a few reasons and factors involved in the formation of a double chin. Some of the more common include gaining too much weight, and living an inactive lifestyle. But also, as we grow older the skin does lose it’s elasticity, and this inevitably will lead to sagging skin.
We should also be aware that muscles which are not frequently put to use are going to lose their tone. Certainly included in this is the platysma muscle, which is the muscle that runs down from your jaw and along your neck. Still another cause of double chins can be the loss of a large amount of weight which will create a lot of loose skin around the neck area.
The good news is that there are ways available how to get rid of a double chin, and how to reduce double chin. Let’s take a look at some double chin exercises to consider in getting the job done.
1. Head Lifts: This exercise requires you to lay on your bed face-up, with your neck on the bed’s edge, and your head hanging off the side in a relaxed manner. You then at the front of your neck contract the muscles as you slowly lift and curl your head as far as you can to your chest, all the while keeping your shoulders on the bed. You then hold this position for 10 seconds, and being careful that your head does not drop, relax your neck slowly to return your head back to the starting position. This is one rep, and your goal is to complete three sets of two reps per set. To make certain you avoid any dizziness, you should sit up for a moment or two between each set.
2. Extend(stick out)Your Tongue: This is one of the more popular exercises for double chin workouts. You simply, in a relaxed position, stand or sit. Then, as wide as you possibly can, open your mouth and as far as you possibly can, stick out your tongue. You want to feel your neck and chin tighten. As you hold your tongue extended out, count to 10. You can then return to the starting position and relax for a moment. This is one rep, and your goal is to complete 10 reps.
3. The Pigeon Exercise: With this exercise in how to get rid of double chin, underneath your jawbone, just before it turns up toward your ear, place your thumb. Then, in the same location on the opposite jaw, place the same hand’s index finger. Now you want to push forward with your head and neck against your hand, all the while holding your hand still. For 30 seconds you will then hold this position, and then you may release your hand and move your neck back to the position you started from. This is one rep, and you will want to complete 3 reps.
4. The Jaw Release: This is one of the double chin exercises you can do in a standing or seated position. You will want to elongate your spine for a straight and tall back. Next, keeping your lips together, move your jaws down and up, as if you were chewing. Then, while humming, through your nose inhale deeply, and exhale slowly. As you complete the slow exhale, as wide as you possibly can open your mouth, all the while holding your tongue against the back of your teeth on the bottom. Holding this position, you then want to slowly inhale and exhale with a noticeable “ahhh” sound. This whole process will consume about 90 seconds, and that is one rep. You want to complete 2 reps of this exercise.
5. The O Exercise: With this exercise, standing or sitting you want to put your head back and look at the ceiling. Close your lips together, keep them closed together but relaxed and then open your mouth to form an “O” shape. For 20 seconds, hold this position. Relax and return to starting position. This is 1 rep. You want to complete 2 sets of 10 reps each.
6. The Side Neck Stretch: With this exercise you want to sit on the floor, and with fingers down place one hand on the floor. Your hand should be placed about one foot away from your hip. On your fingertips, you don’t want to be leaning too heavily. On the top of your head you want to wrap your opposite arm, with your palm resting on the opposite ear. You want to then bend your head toward your shoulder, keeping your head in alignment with your neck, and then use your palm to gently press your head to your shoulder. Next, off the floor you take your fingertips, and you place them on your upper arm. You then apply gentle pressure to press the shoulder away from your head and down. For 10 seconds you will hold this position, then release your hands, return to the starting position, and repeat this on the other side. This constitutes one rep, and your goal is to complete three.
7. The Platysma Exercise: The platysma is the muscle which runs down from your jaw and along your neck. You want to stand with your neck erect, and then in your jaw tighten the tendons by pulling your lips over the teeth and turning downward the corners of your mouth, like you would do if you were frowning. You want to hold this position for 10 seconds and then relax. This is one rep, and your goal is to complete 10 reps.
8. The Hanging Head Exercise: With your head hanging over the edge, lie down on your sofa or bed. You then want to lift your chin up towards your chest and for 10 counts hold the contraction. You then slowly lower your head back to the starting position. This is one rep, and you want to try and do 10 reps, and then relax.
9. Chin Rotations: With this exercise you want to elongate your back, whether in a seated or standing position. Then, leading with your chin, rotate your head, gently and slowly, so that from your shoulder to chest to shoulder to back, it moves in a full circle. Through the movement, make sure to keep your shoulders down and back. This is one rep and you want to complete 10 reps, and then repeat these in the opposite direction.
10. Chin Lifts: This is one of the exercises for double chin designed to strengthen and tighten muscles in your neck and face. You want to stand with your neck and back straight. You then want to raise your chin toward the ceiling and in an exaggerated kissing position purse your lips, and hold this position for 10 seconds. You want to do this exercise 10 times.
11. Kiss The Ceiling Exercise: With your arms at your side, stand tall and tilt your head back to look at the ceiling. You then want to attempt to kiss the ceiling by extending your lips as far as you possibly can. Through your neck and chin you should feel a tightening. When you do, hold this for 5 seconds. Now relax, and return to the starting position. This is one rep, and your goal is to complete two sets of 15 reps each.
12. Roll Your Neck: With your spine upright, stand erect. So that your chin is parallel to your shoulder, turn your head to the side. Off to the side is where your eyes should be looking. You then want to roll your head very slowly downward, and then up to the other side. This procedure should be repeated 10 times.
13. The Pout And Tilt Exercise: From a standing or sitting position, you want to form a pout by sticking out your lower lip as far as you possibly can. Hold this contraction for one second. Then while holding your lip out, and without rounding your upper back, lower your chin to your chest as far as you possibly can. Hold again for one second, relax your lips and return to the starting position. This is one rep and you want to complete two sets of 20 reps each.
14. Open Your Mouth: With this exercise you want to open as far as you can your mouth, then stick your tongue out as far as possible. You want to try and touch your chin with your tongue. Then you want to hold for 10 counts, and repeat this effort 10 times. You will be feeling your neck and chin muscles tightening while performing these exercises for double chin.
15. The Tongue Press Exercise: Tilt your head back and look at the ceiling while standing or sitting. Press your tongue forcefully to the roof of your mouth. Then, without rounding your back, lower your chin to your chest as far as possible. Then relax your tongue and go back to the starting position. This is 1 rep and your goal is to complete 2 sets of 20 reps each.
These double chin exercises will prove to be of valuable assistance in how to get rid of a double chin. You may also want to take a look into Kybella, which is a prescription medicine used in adults to improve the profile and appearance of moderate to severe fat below the chin. You should speak to your health care provider for any additional information you want. The cost of Kybella treatment can be high but it is proven to be very effective.